Late yesterday afternoon, maybe a mile from our home, a farmer lost his livelihood to a devastating barn fire.
I was sitting at the dining room table on my computer when my husband called and asked what was burning over this way. He was on his way home and could see the smoke from miles away.
I looked out the front window and saw the dark smoke billowing from the valley behind our subdivision. Suddenly, the sirens were coming from all directions. We didn't know what was going on, only that something BIG was burning. As time went on the smoke got lighter in color which was an indication to us that the fire departments on scene were getting it under control.
When we left for church after dinner it was already dark outside but you could see the smoke hanging in the air and the smell was fairly heavy. When we returned home, it was even worse. Our house even smelled of smoke, but none of that compared to the tragedy and loss for that farm.
This morning we found out that 78 cows died in that fire and the barn in no more. They were so scared and confused when the men were trying to get them out that they ran the wrong direction and the roof of the barn collapsed. I can only imagine how helpless those men felt.
I drove by the farm this morning after taking the boys to school and the rubble was still smoldering. Such a sad, sad sight to see. The Good family will be in my prayers and I invite you to pray for them as well.
In spite of this sadness I feel for this family and our community, I am joyful for another reason. Today is my 15th wedding anniversary.
I really have no words to express how grateful I am for the last 15 years and for my dear husband, Dan, who has stood by my side even when most people would have turned and forsaken me.
I thank God for the tremendous gift He has given me in my husband. A gift I certainly did not deserve and I pray that He continues to bless our marriage for many, many years to come as we seek to honor Him through it.
So there you have it....sadness and joy....all in the same day. My heart kinda hurts, to be perfectly honest. Cherish the blessings God has bestowed upon you. You never know when they might be taken away.
It makes me think of this precious portion of Scripture:
Ecclesiastes 3
1 To everything there is a season,
A time for every purpose under heaven:
A time for every purpose under heaven:
2 A time to be born,
And a time to die;
A time to plant,
And a time to pluck what is planted;
3 A time to kill,
And a time to heal;
A time to break down,
And a time to build up;
4 A time to weep,
And a time to laugh;
A time to mourn,
And a time to dance;
5 A time to cast away stones,
And a time to gather stones;
A time to embrace,
And a time to refrain from embracing;
6 A time to gain,
And a time to lose;
A time to keep,
And a time to throw away;
7 A time to tear,
And a time to sew;
A time to keep silence,
And a time to speak;
8 A time to love,
And a time to hate;
A time of war,
And a time of peace.
And a time to die;
A time to plant,
And a time to pluck what is planted;
3 A time to kill,
And a time to heal;
A time to break down,
And a time to build up;
4 A time to weep,
And a time to laugh;
A time to mourn,
And a time to dance;
5 A time to cast away stones,
And a time to gather stones;
A time to embrace,
And a time to refrain from embracing;
6 A time to gain,
And a time to lose;
A time to keep,
And a time to throw away;
7 A time to tear,
And a time to sew;
A time to keep silence,
And a time to speak;
8 A time to love,
And a time to hate;
A time of war,
And a time of peace.
9 What profit has the worker from that in which he labors? 10 I have seen the God-given task with which the sons of men are to be occupied. 11 He
has made everything beautiful in its time. Also He has put eternity in
their hearts, except that no one can find out the work that God does
from beginning to end.
12 I know that nothing is better for them than to rejoice, and to do good in their lives, 13 and also that every man should eat and drink and enjoy the good of all his labor—it is the gift of God.
14 I know that whatever God does,
It shall be forever.
Nothing can be added to it,
And nothing taken from it.
God does it, that men should fear before Him.
15 That which is has already been,
And what is to be has already been;
And God requires an account of what is past.
It shall be forever.
Nothing can be added to it,
And nothing taken from it.
God does it, that men should fear before Him.
15 That which is has already been,
And what is to be has already been;
And God requires an account of what is past.
Powerful words, wouldn't you say? I hope you will ponder them in your heart.
In the meantime, here is a card I made that sums up how I am feeling...
| Stamps: Season of Change (Sweet 'n Sassy Stamps) |
| Ink: Versafine & CTMH |
| Accessories: ribbon, button, twine, Season of Change leaf die (Sweet 'n Sassy Stamps) |

6 comments:
I can see why you would have both feelings today. Life can be so sad sometimes. Prayers for the family who lost their barn and livelihood. And happy anniversary to you. Your card is just lovely and understated.
Such a sad story...but I rejoice with you on your anniversary!
Oh Korin, what a devastating loss for you neighbors. They will definitely by in my prayers. God is good!
Happy Anniversary to you and your hubby. May God continue to bless your marriage and give you many, many more happy years together.
And thank you for those wonderful words from God. Such a great reminder. I need to read that every morning before I begin my day. :)
PS: Your card is gorgeous! I tried to go snag that set from the store and it is no longer available. :( Oh well.
What a beautiful card .... Love the hymn verse ... A good one to remember when things are a bit tough! Thanks for sharing your thoughts Korin. I feel as if we have just shared a quiet time together. The Bible passage is always helpful. Congrats on your anniversary! A wonderful achievement these days. (We are coming up to our 30th next year ... And whilst I hate saying that 'cos it makes me sound so old ... I am also so thankful for God's wonderful blessings. My 2nd daughter is getting married in 3 weeks ... I am feeling a little sad ... But Ecc has reminded me ... This is all part of God's plan! Hugs xxx
Love the card and the scripture, how do people live without God??
Post a Comment