Friday, February 5, 2010

Commit Thy Way


Commit thy works unto the LORD, and thy thoughts shall be established. Proverbs 16:3

God's Word is FULL of commandments or imperatives. We aren't to obey just the 10 commandments, but ALL of them. One of those commandments is to commit thy way or thy works unto the Lord. Well, what does that mean exactly?

Let's first read a couple definitions of commit-
-give: give entirely to a specific person, activity, or cause;
-entrust: confer a trust upon;

Each of these definitions give us more specific details about what exactly this commandment means. We are to give or entrust our ways and works to the Lord. Notice after "give" it says give entirely to a specific person. Give entirely! What a concept! We are commanded to give not in part but in WHOLE, our body, mind, & soul.

Into thine hand I commit my spirit:
thou hast redeemed me, O LORD God of truth.

Psalm 31:5

But not just our whole being, also our burdens....

I would seek unto God, and unto God would I commit my cause:
Job 5:8

and our way (definitions of way-direction, manner)

Commit thy way unto the LORD;
trust also in him; and he shall bring it to pass.

Psalm 37:5

Why should we do this? Well aside from it being a commandment we must obey, we see the benefit is that God will keep us! (definitions of keep-continue, sustain, maintain)

For the which cause I also suffer these things: nevertheless I am not ashamed: for I know whom I have believed, and am persuaded that he is able to keep that which I have committed unto him against that day.
2 Timothy 1:12

God wants our hearts, our lives to be committed to Him, so that He might comfort, guide and sustain us! Let's wake up every morning and commit our day to Him that we might walk righteously, in His strength and truth and bring Him all the glory He deserves!

Dear Heavenly Father, Thank you for promising that you will sustain me when I commit my way to you. What a gracious and merciful Father you are! Help me to wake each morning and commit my day to you. May each moment of my day prove my commitment. May others see the difference in my life that YOU might receive all the glory. In Jesus precious name, AMEN.

1 comment:

Elaine M said...

We all like to believe we've committed everything to the Lord - but lately I've been realizing that I have committed with strings attached. I've committed to whatever He wants of my life as long as He talks it over with me first and listens to MY advice....silly girl that I am. I am such a "work in progress" but thankfully He loves me mess and all.