
Before I get into my devotional today, I want to apologize for not posting in so long. I am fairly certain Satan is not too keen on the idea of me starting and keeping up with this blog. This past week has been just crazy.....I have been so busy, yet I feel like I'm not getting anything done. Every time I sat down to post or even thought about sitting down to post something interrupted me. It sure does feel good to be back, although I warn you, your toes might get stepped on today.....mine sure did!
Whoso keepeth his mouth and his tongue keepeth his soul from troubles. Proverbs 21:23
I have been reading the book of James. My what wisdom and instruction is found in this book! This morning God spoke to me about the tongue....YIKES!! The tongue is one of my BIGGEST struggles! I am not known for being a quiet person, in fact I speak my mind regularly and believe me, it regularly gets me into trouble! I can say that they have certainly been improvements over the years, but I have far from arrived and I am certain it will take eternity (my home in heaven) to get me there! But the fact that I have failed time and time again on controlling my tongue doesn't mean I shouldn't keep trying. So here I am again....hearing from God himself, or should I say, getting a bit of a kick in the pants, that I need to try, try again!
If any man among you seem to be religious, and bridleth not his tongue, but deceiveth his own heart, this man's religion is vain.
James 1:26
In James chapter 3, there are some wonderful illustrations shared that show us how one small part can control a much larger whole! Just has the small bit in a horses mouth controls the whole horse and just has the small rudder of a ship controls the whole ship, so our tongues are small but powerful!
Even so the tongue is a little member, and boasteth great things. Behold, how great a matter a little fire kindleth! And the tongue is a fire, a world of iniquity: so is the tongue among our members, that it defileth the whole body, and setteth on fire the course of nature; and it is set on fire of hell.
James 3:5-6
Just like a spark starts a fire, our tongues, too, when used in sin can cause much destruction!! The tongue we use for blessing is the same tongue we use for cursing, but this is not how it should be! I love James' illustrations in verses 11 & 12 of chapter 3.
Doth a fountain send forth at the same place sweet water and bitter? Can the fig tree, my brethren, bear olive berries? either a vine, figs? so can no fountain both yield salt water and fresh.
Here are some verses that show what God thinks of our cursing, evil tongues.
The LORD shall cut off all flattering lips, and the tongue that speaketh proud things:
Psalm 12:3
Keep thy tongue from evil, and thy lips from speaking guile.
Psalm 34:13
But the tongue can no man tame; it is an unruly evil, full of deadly poison.
James 3:8
He that hath a froward heart findeth no good: and he that hath a perverse tongue falleth into mischief.
Proverbs 17:20
Ouch!! These verses sure make me want to hold my tongue a lot more often!
I said, I will take heed to my ways, that I sin not with my tongue: I will keep my mouth with a bridle, while the wicked is before me.
Psalm 39:1
Dear Heavenly Father, Thank you for pointing out this sin in my life. Help me to heed your words to control my tongue. May I use it only for the edifying and lifting up of others. The next time I go to open my mouth and use my tongue in a way that does not honor you, help me to remember these verses of scripture. Help me to close my mouth and pray for your guidance and wisdom, that I might say the RIGHT thing, or even nothing at all. Thank you for your unfailing mercy and forgiveness every time I fail and confess my sins to you. I love you, Lord and I want to please you. Help me to bring glory to your name in every aspect of my life, especially my tongue. In Jesus precious name, AMEN.
2 comments:
I thank the Lord for His mercy and His grace. He is helping us to mature (perfect) it sure can be a struggle with our flesh! Thanks for the gentle reminder.
For in many things we offend all. If any man offend not in word, the same is a perfect man, and able also to bridle the whole body. James 3:2
Have a blessed day!
What an on-going battle this is - ugh - and it certainly keeps us humble. Once again you've given me a prayer to add to my book. You have blessed us with so much in this blog - thank you!
Post a Comment