These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation; but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world. John 16:33Being cheerful can be so hard sometimes. When my kids are fighting or I get a less than pleasing phone call or email, or I'm really busy and everyone in the house needs me for something it's so easy for me to be agitated and grumpy, but I have been saved by the blood of Jesus Christ!.....How could I NOT be cheerful always?! He commands me to do so.
What does it mean to "be of good cheer"?
Some definitions I found of the word cheer:
-as a noun: lightness of spirits or mood; gaiety or joy; a source of joy or happiness; a comfort; the quality of being cheerful and dispelling gloom;
-as a verb: to make or become happy or hopeful; comfort or be comforted; to applaud or encourage; give encouragement to; cause (somebody) to feel happier or more cheerful; show approval or good wishes
Reading through these definitions, it is quite evident what Jesus meant by telling us to "be of good cheer." He was telling us to be without worry, to be encouraged and full of joy.
Trouble WILL come, there is no way around it, but how we respond is what makes ALL the difference. As Christians, others should see that difference in us. It should be seen in our countenance, our attitudes, our actions and our words. Jesus didn't mope around with a frown on his face even though he knew his fate on Calvary. Paul didn't whine and complain when he was sent to prison on more than one occasion. Esther was liked by everyone because of her cheery disposition despite her undesirable circumstances.
A merry heart maketh a cheerful countenance: but by sorrow of the heart the spirit is broken.
Proverbs 15:13
And, behold, they brought to him a man sick of the palsy, lying on a bed: and Jesus seeing their faith said unto the sick of the palsy; Son, be of good cheer; thy sins be forgiven thee. Matthew 9:2
So the next time someone or something upsets you or the task ahead seems more than you can bear....SMILE and be cheerful---Jesus LOVES you and died for you! Don't pout, don't complain, be cheerful! You'll be surprised by how great you feel! You may even pass the cheerfulness on to everyone around you :).
Dear Heavenly Father, thank you for giving me reason to be of good cheer by sending your only Son to die for my sins. Help me to smile more and pout less, to encourage more and complain less, to be more like your Son each day and share his cheerfulness and love with everyone around me even if I don't feel like it. In Jesus precious name, AMEN.
2 comments:
What a wonderfully encouraging blog today. Thanks so much.
I totally agree that our reaction is what is most important in a bad situation. I have recently chosen to be more positive in times like these, and I can honestly say that I do feel different! It has changed my whole aspect and frame of mind even on other things that I deal with on a day to day basis! Hit another nail on the head, Korin!
I am so loving this blog!! Thank you!
Post a Comment